Anelok: the end is near ! (3x)

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Fri Mar 13 03:46:37 UTC 2015

1) The battery's end is near. Finally !

It has now dropped below 2.65 V and it looks as if it shouldn't have
more than about 200 hours left before hitting 2 V. I think I'll free
it from its misery a little sooner, though.

Here is a sightly different plot:
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/cr2032-daytime-940h.png

This shows the battery voltage by the hour of the day. As one can
see, it's coldest around 7 am (11 UTC) and hottest a bit after 6 pm.

2) Freescale are being eaten by NXP

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/free_scale/usn/usnews-story.aspx?cid=896&newsid=28737

Given that NXP also have a strong like of MCUs that directly compete
with the Kinetis series, this is probably not good news for the
long-term future of the chips we're using.

But chip with designs that are already on the market will certainly
be available for a good while, so there is no immediate danger for
Anelok.

3) Gitorious about to shut down

https://about.gitlab.com/2015/03/03/gitlab-acquires-gitorious/

This has more immediate consequences since they'll shut down
gitorious by the end of May 2015. Apparently, gitorious was already
in trouble, and GitLab merely picked up the pieces.

This is the first time I hear of GitLab, so I think that, instead of
migrating there, it would be safest to "jump ship" and move Anelok
over to GitHub. I've used GitHub before and I expect this transition
to be fairly painless.

Fun fact: Google are about to axe Google Code as well:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/12/google_code_shutdown/

Opinions ? I'd expect to make the transition around the end of this
month.