Anelok: the end is near ! (3x)

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Sat Mar 14 18:10:02 UTC 2015

hellekin wrote:
> On the other hand, the double discourse on
> open-core (free "community edition", proprietary "enterprise edition")
> is annoying.

Yes, this makes me also a bit apprehensive about the long-term
perspective of their service. What if they decide some day that
providing public git repo hosting is no longer part of their
core business ?

I see much less risk with GitHub in this regard.

> Another solution is to host Gitlab yourselves.

Heh, I'm trying to host as little as possible :) In the Qi-Hw
universe, we also have  http://projects.qi-hardware.com/  which
is based on Indefero.

I moved Anelok to gitorious because the Qi-Hw server was extremely
unreliable for a while. Wolfgang has fixed this since, but it may
still be a good idea to avoid putting all our eggs in one basket,
since the economical basis for the Qi-Hw servers has shifted from
Sharism's business to Wolfgang's disposable income. (Okay, at the
end of the day that's basically the same :)

Another reason was to keep the repo on relatively neutral ground
(NO/PL). GitLab (NL) would trump GitHub (US) in this regard.

Right now, Anelok uses the following resources:

Service				Provider
IRC				Freenode
IRC archive			Qi-Hw / whitequark
Web space (data dump)		Qi-Hw (downloads)
Web space (customizable)	my server

I currently use my server only for things that need "nice" URLs,
like http://anelok.com and I run the most basic of all Web
servers (awhttpd v3).

For the git repos, the following "value-added" features are of
interest:

Service		Web browsing	Merge requests	IRC notifications
---------	------------	--------------	-----------------
Qi-Hw		y		-		y
Gitorious	y		y		-
GitHub		y		y		-
GitLab		y		?		?

I kinda miss the push notifications on #qi-hardware. Merge request
handling is nice and I find the workflow in GitHub clearer than in
Gitorious. For Web browsing, Gitorious' insistence of including
the hash everywhere is a bit irritating, even though technically
more correct. GitHub, GitLab, and Indefero all let me have a link
to just the file, without requiring manual editing.

> It's very good software
> and every month on the 22nd like a clock, they deliver an upgrade with
> bugfixes and new functionality.

The possibility to just install the service on our own machines if
things turn sour could certainly be a nice option. For now, my
universal "plan B" is simply not to depend overly on non-ubiquitous
features some service provides, so that migrating elsewhere is easy.

> https://kallithea-scm.org/ is written in Python.

Ah nice, less to learn :) But it looks rather niche-ish and seems
to have only a tiny number of repos on their repo hosting service.

> I guess ikiwiki can be used instead, if
> you choose to work with gitbull.

Heh, now you lost me :-) All I get when googing for gitbull are a
WordPress example page and some bizarre Twitter account :)