Anelok: a dummy case for AAA (1/2)

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Sat May 23 23:39:59 UTC 2015

I decided to give the YZ slices a try, to find out what the new form
factor would feel like. This is my mill, after making a mess:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/dummy-aaa/dummy-aaa-mill.jpg

This is what it produced, with the sawdust shaken off, not sanded:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/dummy-aaa/dummy-aaa-hairy.jpg

After a bit of sanding, the slices already looked a lot more civilized:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/dummy-aaa/dummy-aaa-sanded.jpg

These are the pieces I made:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/dummy-aaa/dummy-aaa-pieces.jpg

The big hole is for the battery, the small holes are for 1/8" screws.
Some of the pieces on the left side also have larger partial holes
for the screw head or a nut. That way, I can use the screws I have at
home, which would be a bit too short to span the entire width. And it's
also neater if no parts of the screws protrude.

Here is a size check of the assembled package:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/dummy-aaa/dummy-aaa-width.jpg
http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/dummy-aaa/dummy-aaa-height.jpg

This is what it looks like compared to the CR2032 case design:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/dummy-aaa/dummy-aaa-comparison.jpg

There is a fair bit of room for side walls and the battery contacts:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/dummy-aaa/dummy-aaa-battery.jpg

And it also feels like a natural match for single-handed operation:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/tmp/dummy-aaa/dummy-aaa-held.jpg