Anelok: refining the wedge

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Sun May 31 07:38:31 UTC 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 02:06:29AM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> Also let's assume a moderate amount of post-processing. E.g.,
> sanding, trimming any isolated flaws, maybe some surface treatment.

That post processing makes a big difference and allows for pretty much
everything.  The same can be achieved by trying several times and
tweaking the settings (for example, changing the size of the model a bit
so that the result is what you want instead of what you ask for).  The
latter is especially interesting if you want more copies, because doing
post processing on all of them takes time.

> Based on your experience, would your expect  ...
>
> - the PCB to fit ?

Yes.

> - the PCB to be able to bounce around ?

Probably not.  I usually overextrude a little, so cutting or sanding
would be required to make it fit.  Unless you overdo it, it should not
bounce.

> - the floor to be level ? (I.e., not bent or warped.)

Yes.  That may be a challence for bigger objects (from 15 cm or so), but
for this size it should be fine.

> - If you held the piece on one side and applied a ~100 g force on
>   the other, would it bend by more than, say, 2 mm ?

Probably not.  I'd use PLA, which is very stiff and also quite strong.
1 N is so little force, I wouldn't expect any noticable deflection on a
piece like this.

>   (I get something like 1-2 mm with an Anelok bottom case half,
>   made of acrylic. The flexing of the assembled case is noticeable
>   but tolerable. Also, the wedge-shaped case would be stockier and
>   thus suffer less flexing, all other things being equal.)

Hmm, if you get that much then my estimate of near zero deflection may
be overly optimistic.  Acryllic may be slightly more flexible than PLA,
but I don't think the difference is that big.

> Oh, and when you make parts that should mate, does the usual "nose"
> on one side and undercut on the other work well with PLA and ABS ?
> Or do such things tend to come apart easily ?

I don't have a lot of experience with it.  undercuts are generally hard
to print, unless they are small.  I'm currently printing a box cover
with that system, with only 0.75 mm groove.  I think it'll work well
(but my first version didn't, because I had not put any space in the
model; it would have worked with force, but I want this to slide with
low friction).

Thanks,
Bas