old toner transfer paper trivia

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Fri Oct 23 16:38:18 UTC 2015

I couldn't find my bag with the toner transfer paper I had used in
recent years (some random brand ink photo paper), so I used the one
I could find - a sheet of the venerable HP C6039A.

I had this for about ten years (luckily inside a plastic bag, so
the thick layer of oily black dust that had accumulated over the
years wasn't on the paper itself) and time has done interesting
things to it.

The first indication was when, after printing, a corner of the
paper delaminated:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/tmp/transfer-film-corner.jpg

I knew the coating had a key role in making toner transfer work,
but I never pictured it as a separate film.

After passing the laminator ("ironing"), the film detached
completely, yielding this:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/tmp/transfer-film-detached.jpg

Except for the weird splotch under the "A" of "ANELOK", the
transfer was flawless.