%(qi-html-head)s %(qi-html-body-top)s

Anelok: The Yubico opportunity

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue May 17 18:29:55 UTC 2016

Sorry to use the "Anelok:" prefix, Werner, but I don't want people complaining
about the topic after opening the message. ;-)

Anyway, this story has been "trending" recently: Yubico has apparently gone
completely closed on their latest product, as opposed to somewhat closed,
meaning that the whole transparency argument has erupted around their
token/key/credentials-management products...

"Yubico: Secure hardware vs. open source"

http://lwn.net/Articles/687676/

Indeed, the blog post that initiated the fuss is perhaps something worth
mining for good discussion points...

https://www.yubico.com/2016/05/secure-hardware-vs-open-source/

It's interesting to read that they ditched the Java Card stuff in their latest
product. I saw an interesting talk about writing applets for that platform and
it was a rather informative and entertaining glimpse behind the curtain into a
somewhat bizarre world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31D94QOo2gY

Maybe there's an opportunity to be had here with Anelok. Get yourself a Let's
Encrypt certificate for anelok.com and maybe people can be sent in that
direction for more details. ;-)

Paul