%(qi-html-head)s %(qi-html-body-top)s

Anelok: snippets

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Apr 22 10:49:04 UTC 2017

On Saturday 22. April 2017 07.14.17 Werner Almesberger wrote:

> So I came up with a script that HTMLizes mails, converts anything
> that looks like a link into a HTML hyperlink, adds a small preview
> image for each image that's linked from the mail, and adds a few
> minor enhancements to make the structure of the mini-thread clearer.

I imagine that this is what some mail clients might do. In principle, it is
possible to reference attached (as opposed to linked) resources within mail
messages (RFC 2111, RFC 2387), and I suppose that embedding linked resources
is merely an extension of the same practice, although care would be needed in
general to prevent misuse (linking to nasty stuff, increasing traffic for
sites).

> The (unfinished) script is here:
> https://gitlab.com/anelok/anelok/blob/master/snippet/snippet.plhttps://gitl
> ab.com/anelok/anelok/blob/master/snippet/snippet.pl
>
> As an example, I converted the last two threads on the list with it.
>
> This is the "power-only fixture" etc. thread:
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/snippets/20170410.htm
>
> This is the "Mk 3 running on battery" thread:
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/anelok/snippets/20170420.htm
>
> What do you think ? Hate it ? Love it ? Meh ?

It is obviously nice to have embedded images. I guess the text is supposed to
be monospaced, but since Debian upgraded to the ESR version of Firefox from
Iceweasel, I've been waiting for them to fix the font assignments that the
upgrade broke to no avail. It does make me wonder about formatting the tables,
but down that path lies the frustration of "ASCII art" markup languages like
Markdown and its many extensions.

Paul