update linux from 2.6.37.6 to linux 3.0

Maarten ter Huurne maarten at treewalker.org
Wed Sep 21 07:01:54 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 21 September 2011 11:33:26 Xiangfu Liu wrote:

> I found there are some big update on
> 'arch/mips/jz4740/clock.c'
> 'arch/mips/jz4740/cpufreq.c'
> 'arch/mips/jz4740/gpio.c'

The cpufreq driver is not ready for merging:
- it contains A320-specific code that must be abstracted
- it can switch PLL frequency while subsystems are active, which is not
allowed; for MMC there is code to avoid this, but not yet for other
subsystems
- it needs a modification in the generic cpufreq code to be able to change
the table contents at runtime: apparently for most systems the available
frequencies are static, but if you can change the PLL frequency the
available frequencies are very dynamic (this modification exists but it must
be accepted by upstream before we can merge the driver)

It would be useful if someone would try whether cpufreq works on the
NanoNote and if not, what kind of modifications it needs.

The A320 config is not ready for merging either, since it needs SLCD support
which is currently handled by a separate driver but should be handled by a
single LCD/SLCD driver. I will be working on that, but it might take several
weeks to become available and then mature.

An advantage for the NanoNote of combining the two video drivers is that it
would gain double buffering support, which allows games and video players to
push frames quickly and without tearing.

The GPIO changes should be merged. As far as I know Lars submitted those
earlier this week.

Bye,
		Maarten